- Delivers family violence (FV) awareness raising and early intervention activities during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Funded by Family Safety Victoria and Department of Premier and Cabinet (Office for Women and Multicultural Affairs), one year program 2020 to 2021.
- Adopts a collaborative approach, working with community organisations, mainstream services and FVSS in co-design, implementation and review of all project activities. There is a FV Reference Group of Indian community leaders and partners to advise on the project.
- The program operates according to industry standards with professionally qualified staff trained in MARAM to identify and respond to family violence in the community.
Some of the key activities to be covered in this project are as follows.
- A telephone helpline provides support to those impacted by family violence in a safe, culturally-appropriate manner. We work to improve understanding of family violence, its various forms, its impacts, unpacking barriers to help-seeking, ways to access appropriate services, and provide linkages into Family Violence Specialist Services (FVSS) or other support services as needed.
- We are building stronger partnerships with FVSS, with safe referral protocols, and are providing cultural consults and advice to mainstream agencies working with Indian clients.
- Interactive programs and workshops in the community to promote respectful and safe relationships and empower Indian women
- Promote awareness of family violence laws and correctional options within the community with Vic police
- Spread the messages of FV prevention and gender equality through Indian media and social media campaigns.
- Increase the capacity of Indian organisations to deal with the issue of FV prevention by providing community leadership training.
For those wishing to seek help, IndianCare is available on 03 8312 8805 weekdays, during business hours. You can also apply through our contact form on our IndianCare’s website https://indiancare.org.au/contact-us/ or through our FB page https://www.facebook.com/indiancareinc